Karate students of all ages, levels, and abilities will learn to perfect each kind of karate technique under the personal instruction of acclaimed karate superstar Hidy Ochiai in this action-filled volume. Packed with nearly 1,000 instructional photos, Hidy Ochiai's Complete Book of Self-Defense expertly guides you from the essential basics through the most advanced self-defense moves. You will learn:
Ochiai's lessons for becoming a true martial artist through the cultivation of mental and spiritual strength are an exciting bonus. His exercises are designed to help practitioners increase their self-discipline, concentration, confidence, and respect for themselves and others. Hidy Ochiai, a karate legend, has been inducted into the Black Belt Hall of Fame twice, as Instructor of the Year and as Man of the Year. A member of the International Masters Exhibition Team, he has traveled around the world to demonstrate his renowned skills.
- Hundreds of ways to use hands, arms, feet, and legs as defensive weapons through knife-hand strikes, lunge punches, back-fist thrusts, hook kicks, and more
- Scooping, crescent-knee, palm-heel, and chicken-head blocks to thwart opponents
- Self-defense from all sides of the body and from all positions—standing, sitting, and lying down
- Techniques for performing kata (forms) with strength, grace, and vitality, as well as ways to analyze their underlying meaning
- Application at will of karate's prearranged techniques and kata movements to any self-defense situation—even when fighting off four opponents or a gun-wielding attacker.