Everything you need to install, configure, and get started with Linux -- quickly and easily!
If you're among the growing number of Windows users wanting to switch over to Linux or use both Linux and Windows together, this kit will help you get up and running in no time! This highly accessible, easy-to-use book/CD-ROM package contains everything you need to get started including installation instructions, basic configuration guidelines, and general rules of thumb that'll have you using Linux in a matter of hours. You will be able to do the same jobs you do in Windows -- word processing, spreadsheets, email - using the same skills, all for a fraction of the cost of running Microsoft Office. The starter kit covers all major distributions available, including Red Hat Linux, SuSe Linux, and Caldera OpenLinux and contains the latest versions of each on the accompanying CD-ROM. And, the book includes a special section on laptops plus coverage of more advanced operations such as file permissions, and memory management.
This complete starter kit will show you how to:
- Install Linux on your desktop
- Configure Linux easily and troubleshoot problems new users may encounter
- Connect to the Internet using your current ISP
- Use PartitionMagic to run both Windows and Linux on the same PC
- Work in Linux as easily in Windows, at a fraction of the cost
- Resolve any laptop issues including PCM cards, modems, IRQ conflicts, LCS screens, and power management
Written in an engaging, non-technical style, and filled with practical step-by-step instructions, the Linux Desktop Starter Kit is the most complete, hassle-free guide to getting started with Linux today!